No2 New Zealand General Hospital, Mount Felix. Walton on Thames. Surrey. In 1914, after the declaration of war, the Mount Felix Estate was requisitioned to become a hospital serving British troops until June 1915. Following the Gallipoli campaign, it was deemed necessary to establish a hospital for specifically for New Zealand wounded. the first Gallipoli casualties arrived two days after opening. The New Zealand Hospitalopened on 31 July 1915 and the first Gallipoli casualties arrived two days after from Dover. New Zealand bore the cost of the hospital and it was staffed mainly by New Zealand nurses and medical staff. Mount Felix Estate - an imposing Italianate style villa had 18 acres of extensive grounds which ran down to the Thames which was perfect for pastoral rehabilitation. In January 1916, huts and tents were also erected in the ground increase the bed capacity.
Oatlands Park, Weybridge. Surrey In July 1916, following the Battle of the Somme and an increase in casualties, the NZ medical board acquired the Oatlands Park Hotel. This was a short distance from Mount Felix. Casualties with medical conditions,TB and amputees were sent there.
No1 New Zealand General Hospital, Brockenhurst. New Forest
The Forest Park Hotel and TheBalmer Lawn Hotel were the two local hotels in Brockenhurst that were commandeered as part of the Lady Hardinge Hospital for Wounded Indian Soldiers and fitted out as a medical facility. Almost 3,500 Indian soldiers were treated in Brockenhurst before the Corps was posted to Egypt in November 1915. In August 1916, it became No1 New Zealand Hospital officially known as 'Tin Town' due to the overflow accomodation being primarily galvanised. By the end of the war 21,000 NZ wounded had been treated.