1st Eastern General Hospital TF. Neville's Court/Wren Library. Cambridge.
The hospital, built as temporary open air location, following a plan suggested by Addenbrooke Surgeon Colonel Joseph Griffith. The cloistered areas of the court were protected from the elements by blinds. A wooden floor covered the flagstones and an operating theatre was built within and enclosed. Many tents covered the lawn near the library, becoming orderly accomodation. By mid August 1914, 250 beds had been made ready to receive the wounded. The local business owners provided help where possible and the VAD helpers were primarily local ladies.